Connect with us

Create controlled 50v pulse

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by CommanderLake, Jan 24, 2019.

1. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

A solution to this is to manually focus when the blade is not moving, then arrange a trigger to fire the flash when the blade is in that position.

Typically you'll use an optical trigger that uses an infrared beam to detect the blade (positioned well out of shot).

In a darkened room you set the fan spinning, open the shutter, arm (and then automatically fire) the flash, before finally closing the shutter.

2. CommanderLake

CommanderLake

Oct 2, 2012
    I do all of the above but with a full frame Canon EOS 6D and a fast lens up close the plane of focus is probably a millimeter or 2 deep and the blades aren't all in the same plane.
    Anyway with continued development with the picaxe firmware I made an adjustable PWM output with a pulse width/frequency ratio much greater than the built in PWM so I can freeze the fan to the naked eye.
    I was even able to take a video without strobing or banding with magic lantern on my 6D by fine tuning the framerate and recording RAW video.

hevans1944 and (*steve*) like this.
  3. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
  4. CommanderLake

CommanderLake

Oct 2, 2012
    When I say I do all of the above that's excluding the optical trigger.
    Nice pictures, I should get a macro lens.

On the subject of microcontrollers and programming, I started experimenting with making a boost converter regulator out of the pulse generator circuit and in turn optimizing the code(which I'm pretty good at) of the 8x2 dot matrix OLED display I'm using as it uses a Picaxe which receives commands over RS-232 from another Pixaxe.

The display usually works up to 4800 baud which is rather slow so by sacrificing some functionality of the display which I dont need I was able to get the RS-232 interface up to the fastest a Picaxe can do, 38400 baud and at that speed the transfer of one 8 byte line takes a relatively miniscule 3ms!

Oh and the voltage regulation is good but a bit bouncy and rather coarse at low load but I'm sure I can improve it further.

5. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    I can recommend the Canon 100mm macro lens. You get a good working distance, and the image stabilization is amazing.

6. CommanderLake

CommanderLake

Oct 2, 2012
    I prefer Sigma lenses of which I have 3 because one gets more for ones money and the sharpness and chromatic aberration performance are amazing from comparisons I've seen.

Ask a Question