Connect with us

CR1632 (3v) vs. Two AA's

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Wolfrado, Apr 6, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Wolfrado

Wolfrado

Apr 6, 2015
    Hey,

Kind of a newbie at this, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've disassembled a small lifeline alert pendant transmitter that normally runs on a CR1632, can I replace it with two AA's? Are there any disadvantages? Do CR batteries last longer, have more capacity than AA's, etc.?

On a separate note, if I want to replace the batteries with a power supply, can I use a 5v USB supply or would I have to look for a 3v supply?

Thanks,
    Ward

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The CR1632 is likely to have much less capacity than a pair of AA cells.

Yes, I would think that using 2 x AA cells would be OK.

5V could be too high for the electronics, adding a 3.3.V regulator would make it safe.

3. Wolfrado

Wolfrado

Apr 6, 2015
  4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Why are you trying to "hack" a "lifeline alert pendant transmitter"? If it is being used for its original purpose, you could be making it unreliable for its intended purpose, perhaps putting the user's life in peril. Please tell us you are re-purposing this device for some project that does not involve life-or-death situations.

5. Wolfrado

Wolfrado

Apr 6, 2015
    No one's life is at risk. I'm experimenting with an automated system that uses external sensors to trigger the pendant for individuals who can no longer operate the pendant themselves or who forget to use it. It's more of a proof of concept.

6. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Then that little power supply should work just fine for your purposes... a heck of lot cheaper than replacing those CR1632 cells. Or you could maybe use a rechargable lithium ion battery...

7. Wolfrado

Wolfrado

Apr 6, 2015
    Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.

Ask a Question