Connect with us

counting box

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ultrafire3, Sep 28, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ultrafire3

ultrafire3

Sep 27, 2013
    hey guys,

I need help building box with an LCD screen that has two buttons-one that counts up- and another-one that counts down- and a dial that adjusts how many integers(1-10) the screen counts. (0-9999) how can I make such a beast!? halp! :confused:

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Microcontroller.

Bob

3. ultrafire3

ultrafire3

Sep 27, 2013
    :( :( :( what? where? how? I need someone to hold my hand in this!

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    What experience do you have?

This is not a beginner project.

Bob

5. ultrafire3

ultrafire3

Sep 27, 2013
    I know arduino and pic, but i prefer picaxe. Wich microcontroller should I use, and how?

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    The one you are most comforatble with. Any uController with the needed number of inputs and outputs will do it.

I would use a rotary encoder for the "dial up the count" feature, becuase a pot would be too difficult to control accurately from 0-9999.

So you need two pushbuttons and a rotary encoder as inputs and (that makes 4 since a rotary encoder acts like 2 switches) for the LCD screen you need 3 control lines and 4 or 8 data lines.

So, minimally, you need 4 inputs and 7 outputs. This could be done with one of the 18-pin or 20-pin PICs with a few spare pins.

Bob

7. ultrafire3

ultrafire3

Sep 27, 2013
    kk. I will get these parts and get back to you

Ask a Question