Connect with us

Could do with a hand...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Aledpj, Nov 3, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Aledpj

Aledpj

Nov 3, 2013
    Not sure if this is in the right place but I could use some help, I want to use battery's to power a motor to turn two meccano wheels, how would I go about this, thanks
    Edit: also could someone recommend a motor?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes, you can use batteries to power a motor to turn Meccano wheels. I'd suggest using two or four Alkaline D cells; two cells give you 3V DC and four cells give you 6V DC. D cells will last a reasonable length of time; smaller cells may not.

You will need a DC motor that operates at the appropriate voltage and spins at the speed you want. Simple motors probably spin too fast for your application, but you can get motors with gears built in.

The speed of simple DC motors is not well controlled and will vary somewhat depending on the amount of load (torque) you apply.

Obviously you also need to consider how the motor will be mounted and attached to the frame, and how its shaft rotation will be coupled to the Meccano wheels. Look at the motors available and choose one you think you will be able to use.

Just search for the relevant keywords with Google. You may find that robotics sites have a good selection of motors, gears, couplings and so on. No doubt you can find motors on eBay too, but with eBay you can never be too sure what you're getting, so only go that route if you're feeling lucky.

Ask a Question