Connect with us

Could a water flow sensor sense gas flow?

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by seanspotatobusiness, Feb 15, 2018.

1. seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
    Could a water flow sensor like this one be expected to detect gas flow also? I don't need an accurate measurement; just whether or not there is gas flowing. If not, why?

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    No. Density of the material being measured.

3. PAFMElb

PAFMElb

Mar 20, 2017
    My answer is YES. The sensor is not optimised for gas flow, but you can so easily test it by blowing into the end!! Previous reply re density is correct, and how well gas flow would work for you depends on how sensitive you want it to be. If you have sufficient gas flow it will work. Blowing into the end sure made it spin, and blowing hard turned it into a veritable turbine, complete with humming noise.

My application was for water, but who could resist trying it out by blowing first?

It's worth a try - unless your gas flow rate is very small.
    Cheers PAFMelb

4. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Be wary if the gas is flammable. The rotor seals may be liquid-tight but not gas-tight.

Ask a Question