Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Corsair Cordless Trimmer

highpoint

Jul 13, 2014
Wondering how I can change this trimmer into corded, or have it charge while using. I really dislike this thing, but I don't want to buy a new one. One problem is that this trimmer can't hold a full charge, when the trimmer is powered on it stops charging.

I've got this old thing...
http://www.amazon.com/Conair-GMT185WCSV-12-Piece-Rechargeable-Cordless/dp/B00205SBNQ

Battery is a HV1 Battery - 2.4 Volt, 1500 mAh, NiCd

Anyone have experience with this device?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I've got something similar, and dislike it for the same reasons. Battery won't hold the charge, won't charge when in use, generally an annoying piece of work. Unlike you, I went out and bought a replacement I liked better, and set the
old one aside intending to look at it later (which I haven't done yet). I'll tell you what I PLAN to do to mine, if you've got any hobby-type electronic skills.
I PLAN to find-out what voltages I'm dealing with. You've got the wall socket to the recharger. The recharger PROBABLY is feeding pretty close to the DC voltage your shaver motor runs at, with a small trickle-current charge, to the battery in the shaver. That means you need to be able to determine what the actual DC voltage is, that is coming out of the charging station. If you have a voltmeter, that will tell you. You then need to open up the shaver, remove the
battery, buy a wall socket adapter that outputs the correct DC voltage, and connect the ends of the DC wall socket adapter (Observing proper polarity), to the battery contacts inside the shaver.
I do a lot of hobby work, so I'd reuse the connector out of the charging station, or buy new replacement connectors so I can run power directly from the DC output wall adapter to the shaver.
The amperage of he wall adapters come in many outputs. If your wall adapter amperage is too low, the shaver motor would not run very well and quickly overheat. If you have a higher amperage output wall adapter, the shaver will only
draw the current it needs. I would think 500mA should be plenty.
This may all be mote, if you don' do any electronics hobby work.
If you want to try something like this, the are people here who can help you try to modify what you have to work directly from a wall socket adapter of the proper DC voltage.
If you're hoping to just go out an buy a modification kit, it doesn't work like that. The manufacturer built it the way they want it used.
What do you want to do? Try modifying this, do-it-yourself?