Connect with us

cord pulled out of reader writer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by dcntma, Oct 16, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dcntma

dcntma

Oct 16, 2018
    my usb plug that is connected to the pcb board got yanked out! now here is the dilemma. the board has 4 solder points and the usb has five wires,1 black 1 white 1 red 1 green and a bare wire no color?

Attached Files:

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to EP.
    Your pictures could be more crisp.

The USB color codes are explained e.g. here. The bare wire could be shield. To ensure correct assignment of the wires to data and power, simply check with a multimeter in Ohm range between the bare ends of the wires and the other end of the cable where the USB plug should still be connected.

3. dcntma

dcntma

Oct 16, 2018
    what should the ohm range be

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    R x 1.
    What you are looking for is continuity to see which wire is connected to which pin as Harald said.
    You could use the buzzer if it has one.

5. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    ....and I wouldn't, for one minute, contemplate soldering those wires back as they are! Trim them properly.

6. dcntma

dcntma

Oct 16, 2018
    Okay I got everything soldered back on I got a blinking green light and it doesn't say unrecognizable usb now it has question mark by universal serial usb

7. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Needs an updated driver.

Ask a Question