Connect with us

Copper sheet for Ground?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ssniesle, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ssniesle

ssniesle

Apr 28, 2012
    I apologies if this is elementary, but I took apart an ipad dock/stand and found that three of the control buttons on a pcb is attached to a 1"x3" copper sheet (which is glued to the plastic housing).
    Is this used for ground? I don't understand why they would do this if it is ground, since there is another ground wire near by and I also don't understand how ground works in this case.
    Please educate me.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Likely a grounded shield, to block interference...

3. ssniesle

ssniesle

Apr 28, 2012
    please explain

What would it be shielding? And can I attach this shield to any surface and still act as ground?

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    if it acting as a shield, it would be for RF shielding to lower the amount of RF being radiated by the iPad.
    Shielsing would normally be around /close to the areas that radiated the most .
    many items of electronics have RF shielding.... another common one is switch mode power supplies for laptops etc

Dave

Ask a Question