Connect with us

Cool things to do with voltage meter?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by alex_s, Aug 5, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. alex_s

alex_s

Jul 24, 2014
    In an attemp to learn electronics, I'm crafting an interactive Arduino based interface for my son. They'll be lots of buttons and dials that play sounds and turn on lights.

Anyway, I've ordered a few cheap & interesting components from ebay to use as part of it. One of which is a set of three digit voltage meters. I was hoping to use a potentiometer with the meter to change the numbers (lower the resistance) but it adjusts it slighly lower than 4.5v then cuts out.

So, my question is this... Can anyone think of a cool way to manipulate or control the display of an LED voltage meter with buttons, pots or ther arduino itself?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Do the voltmeters have 2 wires or more?

If they have just 2 wires, they're designed to measure the voltage of a battery. If they have more (often 4) then you can use a potentiometer to vary the voltage to the sense pair (and yes, with a very small amount of electronics you could do it with the arduino.

But first we need to know what sort of meter you have.

3. alex_s

alex_s

Jul 24, 2014
    I've got two meters.

one has two wires, the other has three.

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    The one with three wires can probably be wired so two of the wires go to the power supply and the third can be wired to the wiper of a pot with each end of the pot wired to the power supply. This requires the pot is a reasonable value (above 1k) and that you wire it correctly.

Without modifications the 2 wire meter probably can't be used.

for confirmation, post a link to the eBay auction (or whatever) where you got them.

5. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    gee, they're cheap.

the 0 to 100v meter could be used to read 0 to 5 using the method I suggested above.

The other meter would require a variable voltage source, something a little harder to achieve.

Ask a Question