Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Converting Simple Project to Wireless (RF?)

bengearig

May 3, 2012
Bare with me as I am still fairly new to the electronics frontier.

I have a project which displays a number on a 7-Segment Common Cathode Display. The value is changed dependent on which one of 7 wires is grounded. Only one of these wires will be grounded at any given time and I use a combination of Resistors and Diodes to route power to the correct leads on the Cathode Display. This setup works currently, however I would like to move the display to a remote location for convenience.

I am doing a lot of research and I figured using a Radio Transmitter/Receiver combo will do that trick. Basically I need the transmitter to send information on which wire is grounded over to the receiver.

I am not looking for a complete solution laid out for me because I won't learn anything from it. Any tips/suggestions on where to start? Any articles on how to use these RF components that don't involve RC cars?

The components I was looking at were FM-RTFQ1 and FM-RRFQ1 on DigiKey.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
There are cheap TX/RX modules out there that will handle the radio part, but you need something on each end to drive them... Usually this is a mircochip that will take your parallel/binary logic convert it to serial send it to the TX module that will send it over the air to the RX module, the micro on that end will convert the serial info received back to parallel/binary and light the appropriate light...

These modules can be had for about $10 a pair...

But, once you get into micros you will likely just want to give up your mesh of resistors and diodes to light individual numbers and just use a look up table in the micro to output the appropriate segments directly...