Connect with us

Convert 3-way to 1-way Switch

Discussion in 'Electrical Engineering' started by s, Oct 23, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. s

    s Guest

    easy in uk,but i dont know US wiring,what are you calling a three way
    switch,do you mean three terminals?in uk we have one way,two way and
    intermediate swithes and can configure any swithing arrangment from these,i
    suspect your three way is actually a two way.
  2. Keybored

    Keybored Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a wall light fixture controlled by two 3-way switches. I want to put
    dimmer switches in but the 3-way dimmers are expensive, and it would cost
    over $70 for two. A single-pole dimmer is less than $10. I really don't
    need one of the 3-way switches, since I only turn the light on at one
    location. Is there a way to disconnect and cap off the unused switch and
    install a single-pole dimmer at the other location? What would I do with
    the third conductor wire?

  3. That must be one fancy dimmer switch for $35! I just checked Home Depot,
    and they have two under $20. With 3-way light switches, you normally
    replace only one with a 3-way dimmer switch and leave the other 3-way
    switch in place. Try to get the instructions for this switch before you
    buy it, they will tell you exactly what to do.

  4. Ross Mac

    Ross Mac Guest

    If you want 2 switches to control 1 light you will have to use three ways.
    If you only turn the light on from one place and don't want the other
    switch, that's easy. Just remove the switch you never use, twist all three
    wires together with a wire nut and cap off the outlet with a blank. Then
    take your single pole dimmer connect the two leads. Now, you will have one
    extra wire here. Not knowing the wire colors in your house or which switch
    you are removing, you will have to just take a gamble here...a safe one. If
    you pick the wrong two wires, the dimmer won't function because it will have
    two hot/cold wires. So just grab the other wire and switch it out. If there
    is a red wire it would be a good guess to ignore it and just cover with a
    wire nut.
    Do me a favor and shut off the power and use a meter to verify what you are
    doing.....Good Luck, Ross
  5. Ross Mac

    Ross Mac Guest

    Maybe he has a high wattage dimmer!?!?

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day