Connect with us

Convert 110v to 240v

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Neil Marsh, Jul 31, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Neil Marsh

    Neil Marsh Guest

    Advise sought....

    In the early 80's I was able to convert Apple computers (110v US imports) to
    run on UK mains by swapping the transformer connections.

    Can this procedure be used to convert a 110v cement mixer formerly used on a
    building site ? - hence 110v to comply with regulations.

    Remove NOJUNK to email


  2. Rodney Kelp

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    What was the cement mixer? 220v single phase or 208 three phase?
    Some 220v motors can be reconfigured for 110v, some cannot. If it's a three
    phase, no way. Replace the motor. Unless you want to get into phase
    converters and stuff.
  3. I think he wants to run the mixer on 230 VAC instead of 110 VAC. There's
    a good chance the motor can be wired either way but you would need to check
    it wiring instructions.

    How large (HP) is the motor? The only other easy, but heavy, alternative
    is a step-down transformer rated to handle the motor load.

    --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
    Repair | Main Table of Contents:
    +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
    | Mirror Site Info:

    Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
    To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.
  4. CFoley1064

    CFoley1064 Guest

    Subject: Convert 110v to 240v
    Doubtful but possible. Find the electric motor, and look on the nameplate for
    a wiring diagram. Some AC motors can be wired for either 120VAC or 240VAC. If
    so, you might want to have an electrician take a look at things before you
    perform the modification. If there's anything else electrical on the mixer
    besides a motor, you should also check to see if that will be OK with the mods,

    Good luck
  5. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest

    Look at the label for the motor, if it supports 240v you can simply change
    the connections to run it off that. If it's 120v only (I would think
    unlikely) then you'd have to replace the motor.
  6. Neil Marsh

    Neil Marsh Guest

    As in subject line I want to convert from 110v to 240v

    Remove NOJUNK to email


  7. Well,

    To convert from 110V to 240V get an appropriaty transformer. If you want a
    more detailed answer you'll have to provide more info about the mixer.
    Another problem you may run into is the 50/60Hz difference. Once more
    knowledge of properties or specs of the mixer is necessary.

    petrus bitbyter
  8. You more than likely won't be able to do anything about making it run off
    230 volts unless you use a transformer. Doesn't matter about the frequency,
    it'll just run at a slightly diffeerent speed.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day