Connect with us

Controlling servos over long distances

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by jackytwoshoes, May 17, 2012.

1. jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

May 17, 2012
    I have 2 simple servo controllers which use a rotary potentiometer to control the position of a servo.

I want to have the controllers by my side and the two servos about 20m away in two seperate locations. Can I use some cheap 3-core cable or will I suffer to much loss with that much cable? Do I need to look at radio control?

2. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    Do you want the potentiometers at one end of the cable and the controller/servo at the other end, or the pot/controller at one end and the servos at the other?

Ken

3. jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

May 17, 2012
    Thanks for your reply. I'm happy with either- whichever allows me to use the cheapest and longest cables without problems, although ideally the pot/ controllers at one end and the servo at the other.

4. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    1. If the pots are just changing a DC level in the controller, than it would be easiest to have the pot on one end and the controller/servo on that other.
    2. If the pots are part of an oscillator circuit in the controllers and have pulsing voltages on them, I would opt for the pot/controller on one end and servo on the other.
    3. I did a 100ft CAT5 cable link between a R/C servo drive signal and a computer input. I was monitoring the timing as a function of position of a solar tracker. To assure that I had accurate timing, I used a MIC4427 MOSFET gate driver. I had no signal degradation. I didn't try it without the driver.

Ken

5. jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

May 17, 2012
    Thanks for this, the pots are indeed just changing a DC level in the controller and are working great over 100m of CAT 5 cable.

The problem I now face is that when I connect two controllers/servos to the same power supply they are causing the servos to twitch a little. How can I de-couple them?

6. jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

May 17, 2012
    Perhaps I should have said, the circuits are currently running form batteries but will eventually be from a wall-wart style mains PSU.

7. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    A schematic or sketch of your setup would help us visualize where your problem might reside.

Ken

8. jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes

May 17, 2012
Ask a Question