Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Controlling IGBTs using a microcontroller

stube40

Feb 9, 2010
Anyone have any suggestions how to drive an IGBT via a microcontroller? I'm trying to drive a STGE200NB60S with an Atmel AVR CPU.

The AVR can run at both 3.3V and 5V and the gate threshold of the IGBT is 3V, so in theory I could just connect up an go. But, i cant help thinking that it can't be that simple, can it?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions where I can source low numbers (<= 5) of the 64-lead TQFP version of the AVR (id AT90CAN128-16AU or AT90CAN128-16AI) then I'd love to hear them - Digikey dont do the TQFP package.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Yes it can.
Well, it depends on how much you depend on getting the most from the IGBT. The datasheet should tell you how much current you can pull with 5V gate drive.
If the CPU is up to it you could switch the output fast u&d when the IGBT is to be on, using a charge pump (voltage doubler) between the CPU & IGBT. This will only be ok for slow switching though.
Then you have level converting MOS driver circuits, which is the right way to do it.

stube40

Feb 9, 2010
Yes it can.
Well, it depends on how much you depend on getting the most from the IGBT. The datasheet should tell you how much current you can pull with 5V gate drive.
If the CPU is up to it you could switch the output fast u&d when the IGBT is to be on, using a charge pump (voltage doubler) between the CPU & IGBT. This will only be ok for slow switching though.
Then you have level converting MOS driver circuits, which is the right way to do it.

Thanks for your reply. I have just been recommended the TC24x High-Speed Power MOSFET drive (ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21415C.pdf) and a quick look suggests this could be a simple, fuss-free way of doing it (which sounds great to me given my rookie status). If anyone disagrees or has a better suggestion, please shout.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
*snap* (almost). I would have suggested TC442x which are dual devices. Looking at your link, it seems that I can remove the "(almost)".

That's certainly the way I'd go if I had to switch a load quickly so as to reduce dissipation in the MOSFET or IGBT