Connect with us

Controlling Drill Motor Speed - Universal Motor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by ScottRD, Jul 24, 2014.

1. ScottRD

ScottRD

Jul 24, 2014
    I've found various useful articles here, so it was time to become a member, so thanks in advance for any help!

I'm currently working on a project to use a standard drill as a mixer. I want to mount the drill to a mixer stand, but I would like to be able to control the speed with a knob vs holding the trigger halfway for 10 minutes at a time.

My understanding is that drills typically use a brushed type universal motor that accepts AC or DC, so my question would be how do I control the speed?

I believe they use use pulse width modulators or triacs for a lot of these triggers, but would it be possible to just use a DC drive like a minerak or KB to control it, set at 90v dc? or is there a better alternative keeping the power AC using another triac or PWM

Note its a 110v drill, the attached picture is the trigger I pulled out of it

Thanks!
    Scott

Attached Files:

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    A standard dimmer switch would probably work okay.

Bob

3. debe

debe

Oct 15, 2011
    These SCR speed controller modules are quite cheep on Ebay & work on universal drill motors. And will work on 110V or 240V AC.

Attached Files:

Ask a Question