Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Controlling dc motor and motion sensor.

Angel OD

Oct 26, 2011
Hi guys.

I'm a complete noob at electronics, and I've been searching far and wide to find a sollution to my problem.
But I might be searching for the wrong things as I'm not into the whole electronics part of stuff.

I make custom watercooling and mod pc's in my spare time, and as a machinist I have that side of this
project covered.

I'm starting a new build and this is for my girlfriend. So I wan't it to be a bit different than what I normally do.

I made a quick sketch to give an idea of what I want to acomplish.

Capture2.jpg

The idea is as follows:

I want to have a motion sensor that detects when I swipe my hand over it in a distance of 2-20cm, or something like that.

This will trigger the dc motor to make the slider go up.

When the slider hits Limit Switch A - It stops.

When I swipe my hand over the sensor again, I want the motor to run the other way and move the slider down until it
hits Limit Switch B.

The 5v that is supplied by a PC Power supply fits perfectly with the motor and should supply ample torque.

I have no idea if anyone knows how to do this, and would like to help me out. :)

I probably forgot something, so if you need any extra info, just let me know!

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
I suggest a design based on two of the shelf product:
An IR barrier as used in automation
a RC servo as used in model hobby (linear models available' s). Only fit if your application is not to "heavy"

between those items a small electronic interface. basically a servo tester alike schematic toggled by the IR barrier output.