Connect with us

Controlling a simple DC brushed motor by PWM

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by remo_om, Mar 22, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. remo_om

remo_om

Mar 22, 2017
    Hi guys,
    I want to control a simple brushed DC motor (2 wires). I'm using a PLC with PWM output. I'm looking for a cheap and reliable solution to it. What element would be best for implementing the output to the motor?
    the motor is 24v, 300w.
    Thanks...

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You might be able to find a controller for an old ebike or escooter. 24V 300W brushed motors we're not uncommon prior to the use of brushless DC motors.

3. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    What make of PLC?
    If you already have a PWM signal output then feed it into a suitable power Mosfet, add suitable supply for the motor.
    M.

4. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Do you need to reverse the motor or just control its speed? If reversal is required then things get more complicated.

5. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    One possible solution if reversal is needed, as you are using a PLC, total logic control can be achieved with a couple of spare outputs to control a common dual reversing contactor.
    M.

6. remo_om

remo_om

Mar 22, 2017
    I like the Mosfet idea, but I don't know too much about it. Except of high frequency and the wattage, is there any other specifications that I need to take care about? Is zero crossing relevant in this case?
    I do need also reversing the motor but this is not a problem (another 2 relays).
    Thanks...

7. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
  8. remo_om

remo_om

Mar 22, 2017
    Thank for the replies.
    Outputs specifications attached. S7-1214 Output.png

9. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    If the 100Khz is the freq of the PWM that is fairly high, But I suspect you should be able to do it with a suitable Mosfet.
    If you Google PWM with Mosfet you should get many links to give you the general idea.
    M.

10. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Don't forget to allow the motor to come to a halt before reversing it, or something could get damaged.

Ask a Question