Maker Pro
Maker Pro

control Phidgets card with joystick

electronicscrazy1996

Jan 1, 2012
Hi i'm trying to use a joystick to control the 0/16/16 Phidgets card via a laptop.

i'm open to any suggestions

robert

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's always useful to provide a link so that people don't have to do extra work to determine what device you're talking about.

A link to the manual would also have been a nice touch.

Also some description of the joystick (as per the above) would be essential.

The interface device you have can only handle digital inputs, so I hope your joystick is digital and not analogue -- not that it's impossible to interface to an analogue joystick, but it's a lot more hard work with the USB interface you have.

If it's digital and has a common connection for all switches, connect this to a voltage source (say 5V) and connect each of the switch outputs to a different digital input of the interface. Obviously the power supply ground needs to be connected to the ground connection of the card (you really only need to connect a single ground connection). Then just follow the instructions to read the inputs and do *whatever* with the results obtained.

electronicscrazy1996

Jan 1, 2012
the joystick i am thinking of using is the logitech wingman extreme digital 3D usb which i need to interface with the laptop in order to control the card.

robert

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hang on, you're trying to use a joystick to control the interface card?

This isn't an electronics project, it's a programming one.

Unfortunately you have given us so little information that it's hard to know how to help.

Essentially you need the API for the joystick and the interface card and to write a program that somehow glues them together.

electronicscrazy1996

Jan 1, 2012
yes i am trying to use a joystick to control the card

so do i need to post this someware else

yes thats wat i need to do with it

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
yes i am trying to use a joystick to control the card

so do i need to post this someware else

yes thats wat i need to do with it

Do you have access to a programming language that you can use and the APIs for both the joystick and the card which can be called by that language? (that is the absolute minimum to start with)

And do you know *HOW* you want to control the card with the joystick? (which is what you need to know before you start doing anything else)

What hardware are you going to use? I'm assuming it's a PC, but you may have something else in mind.

electronicscrazy1996

Jan 1, 2012
i would like it so that when i push the joystick forward it will activate a channel on the phidgets card

im thinking of using a laptop to connect both of them to

i have had no experience in programming in the past

robert

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The task of doing it the way you wish to do it is probably beyond you.

An easier task would be to get a simple joystick and use the switch contacts that close when you press the stick forward. It seems a far simpler solution.