Connect with us

Continuous rotary switch

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by [email protected], Feb 4, 2008.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Hello all,

    What's the name for one of those knobs like you get on radio's for
    volume controls where it keeps turning and there's no stops? And how
    does it know which direction the knob was turned?


  2. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Rotary encoders. Many methods, for example two offset optical disks.
  3. On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 14:25:37 -0800 (PST), in
    Shaft encoder, also maybe gray code, do a wiki search

  4. Try "rotary encoder".

    Specifically a quadrature rotary encoder. They have two outputs that
    each generate N pulses per revolution (N being determined by the
    resolution or sensitivity you desire). The two outputs are 90 degrees
    out of phase, so as the knob is spun, software can determine which
    direction it is spun by the phase relationship of the signals.

  5. Marra

    Marra Guest

    Its a rotary encoder.

    You just count phased pulses from it.
    You can tell the direction from the phase the 2 pulses move.
  6. whit3rd

    whit3rd Guest

    For a really good picture, saw open a moving-ball mouse
    (pick one you never liked...). There's two in there,
    one for each of the (X and Y) axes.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day