Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Continuity accross positive voltage rail and ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrade

Apr 13, 2015
Sorry to cross post but I could not see a way to move the original tread to this topic. My son posted in the general topic about the same issue. Not sure if the original can be merged or closed.

I have been restoring a Roland W-30 sampling keyboard with my son and recently tried to install a floppy emulator to replace the B drive that is stock. In doing so we made a complete mess and ended up having to solder every pin by hand on the floppy cable. Some of the traces were cut, solder pads ripped out etc. Anyway, we think we have it soldered correctly but when we were checking to make sure the cables were soldered to the correct parts using a DMM set to continuity we found that the +5.3V pads and the ground bus have continuity. Checking for resistance I find 28ohms.

We have checked every solder joint over and over and can't find a short. It doesn't seem right to have continuity between the positive and negative rails. Looking at the schematic around r-21 it looks like positive and ground are connected via a 220uf cap. It seems that this would explain the continuity but I wanted to ask you guys first before I plug it in and watch the magic smoke.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you are already being responded to in the other thread
will close this one to stop confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.