Connect with us

Constant current source

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by StellenboschStudent, Jun 17, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. StellenboschStudent

StellenboschStudent

Jun 17, 2010
    I am trying to build a constant current source with the following specs: Current, from 0.5mA to 1mA, load resistance varies from 10k-ohm to over 1M-ohm.
    I have been working on this for a while now, and it works fine for low loads, but as soon as the load gets too large, the current varies too much.

Any suggestions?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If you want 1mA through 1Mohm then you need a voltage source greater than 1000 volts.

Is your input voltage that high?

3. StellenboschStudent

StellenboschStudent

Jun 17, 2010
    Yes, I am aware of that, and yes, my voltage source can handle that (can go up to 3000V)

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Eeek! Then you're going to need seriously high voltage parts and I'm not even going to try to suggest a design.

What do you need this for?

5. NickS

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
    Out of curiosity what parts are you using? (MFR & MFR P/N)

6. StellenboschStudent

StellenboschStudent

Jun 17, 2010
    It is for a post-grad project. Doing electrodeposition to grown nanowires...

Jeez, I am not sure now. We bought a digital voltage source, not sure what the specs are.

7. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    How rapidly does your load resistance vary?

How easily is the voltage source interfaced to?

Is it possible to monitor the current across a series resistor and use the voltage drop to provide feedback to alter the voltage setting?

8. NickS

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
    Good Idea.

9. StellenboschStudent

StellenboschStudent

Jun 17, 2010
    It does change rather rapidly, but I think this method will work. Will give it a try, thanks.

Ask a Question