Connect with us

Constant Current Drive

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by h2k, Aug 28, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. h2k

h2k

Aug 25, 2013
    I *think* I know what I'm doing, but let me sure. If I have a 700mA constant current driver, 9-48V, I have the following questions:

1) Can I just put the LED's in series and that is it? No resistors or anything...just string it up?

2) Do I just need to make sure the total voltage of all the LED's in the series is between 9 and 48V?

3) Can I mix 2.4V and 4.2V LED's, provided they are both rated for 700mA? This would seem to make sense for a constant current drive.

4) What happens if the circuit exceeds 48V? Do the LED's just not power on?

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.
    4. Most likely dim or not on. Don't do it, though, you would strain the driver.

Bob

3. h2k

h2k

Aug 25, 2013
    That is great. I was using 12V source and trying to match the resistor and voltage drops. Obviously that is not the way to go...especially if you want flexibility. The constant current driver seems awesome. I have a couple on order, but not sure if this is good quality (the cost is low):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mean-Well-M...990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58960dc976

Any recommendations for high power (20W+) quality units?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
Ask a Question