Connect with us

Connector-- vocabulary breakdown.

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Gregory L. Hansen, Mar 6, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. I'm having a little vocabulary breakdown. What are the connectors called
    that you can plug the skinny part of a multimeter probe into, and where
    is a good place to get them?
  2. Pin Jacks?

    ah, I give up.
  3. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Or tip jacks.

  4. Martin and Rich are right on what you call them. The ones I've seen were
    manufactured by Johnson Components and Keystone. Should be available from
    Digikey and Mouser.
  5. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

  6. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest

    They are called 'hard to find'.

  7. Hah! You think those are bad? Try walking into your local supplier
    someday & asking for a bushel of Fahnstock clips-

  8. Fahnestock

    The ubiquitous "no tool" speaker connectors (and the no-tool terminal
    blocks) are more impressive, but they had to wait for plastic
    injection molding to be invented.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
  9. keith

    keith Guest

    No clue what they are or why I'd want a bushel, but they appear to be
    useful in arming bombs.


    "NOTE: Safety clips are used vice Fahnstock clips unless otherwise
    specified. Normally, arming wire assemblies are shipped in spiral-wound
    fiber tubes, over packed in a wooden box. Generally, the safety
    Fahnstock clips are packed in the tubes with the arming wires. The most
    commonly used arming wire assemblies are listed in table below. Arming
    wire installation procedures are discussed in the TRAMAN where the use
    of arming wire assemblies is required."

    If you really want to buy 'em (whatever 'em is)...

    Ah! That's what they are! Didn't know what they were called, but no I
    wouldn't have a use for one, much less a bushel.

    $26 for 200 clips.

    They don't seem to be rare at all:
  10. Active8

    Active8 Guest

    I like the way RCA did the speaker terminals on my boom box. They
    look like the 2nd set of spkr terms on that Mouser page, but no
    solder terminals.

    The PCB slides into a notched out or cut out looking version of the
    terminal so it's up against the spring clamp, which IIRC is a metal
    contact, but it could just as well be an insulator.

    The wire goes thru the hole and lays on a PCB pad. When you release
    the lever, it clamps the wire down to the PCB.

    Smart and cheap, but a slight PITA to slide it all together.
    Sometimes the ME that goes into an electronic product/part is as
    impressive as the circuit/part itself.
  11. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest

    My friend in High School used to build entrire projects with those!
  12. Active8

    Active8 Guest

    I saw something as a kid that used those and I think it was one of
    my train sets. Maybe the track power connection.

  13. By Golly! I thought they had gone the way of the #6 Dry cell-

    And a nice price break on the bushel load too :).

    Do they have Pine board chassis kits too???

  14. Cool. I'd wondered what happened to them, but I never knew what they were
    called, either.
  15. We don't tell those kind around here.

    Many thanks,

    Don Lancaster
    Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
    voice: (928)428-4073 email:

    Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
  16. Guest

    Guest Guest

    They're called "phone jacks", because, historically, headphones used a pair
    of tips that size. Nowdays of course we use a 1/4" TRS jack for that
    purpose, but the name stuck.

    How many do you need? I have a few.

    Norm Strong
  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    If you ask for Fahnestock clips, you'll get better results.

    Found on the way to something else:

    An Antique QSL Card from Harris Fahnestock


    with more information and another card.

    Fahnestock clips are still available in many places, although they're
    more expensive than they used to be. For production testing of
    subassemblies with flying leads, they can still be the first choice.
    Cheap, easy to use, easily replaceable, good current rating, and just
    about impossible for a test operator to hurt themselves. The wire
    hole's too small to be a pinch point.

    Thanks for the detour.
  18. no_one

    no_one Guest

  19. Tip jacks are the ones I had in mind.

    But I'd been wondering why the other end of the probes aren't simple
    banana. They're long and have a shroud, I'm not sure I can get a banana
    in there.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day