Connect with us

Connector terminology

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Randy Day, Jul 22, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Randy Day

    Randy Day Guest

    I'm trying to find a particular style of
    wire-to-PCB connector, but I don't know
    the terminology to find it in the catalogs,
    if it even exists.

    I want to connect a ribbon cable more or
    less permanently to a PCB. I'd like a
    connector that solders onto the board,
    then the ribbon cable is pressed into
    place with a ... shroud?

    Since it's permanent, I don't want a full
    ribbon connector/receptacle pair if I can
    avoid it. Hey, I'm cheap! Plus I need it
    kept low-profile.

    How would I describe this in terms I'd
    find in the catalogs?

  2. Kris Peeters

    Kris Peeters Guest

    A connector like this one?
  3. Randy Day

    Randy Day Guest

  4. PeteS

    PeteS Guest

    IDC stands for 'Insulator Displacement Connector'.


  5. Jasen Betts

    Jasen Betts Guest

    That's called 'IDC' Insulation Displacement Connector.
    Through-hole (or smt) IDC header

  6. Randy Day

    Randy Day Guest

    Heh. That was the one bit of info I *did*
    have at the start of all this.
    Actually, based on the responses I got here,
    the specific style I wanted is an IDC Transition
    Header connector.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day