Connect with us

Connector Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ian, Aug 17, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    I'm looking for a little bit of advice on choosing a type of connector. I've got an S-250-12 (12V, 20A) PSU that I'm using in a 3D printer project, but I'd like to use detachable connectors from the heatbed to the PSU (the headbed operates at 12V, with a max current of 15A, likely less).

I've seen the XT60 connectors that look pretty nice (and will take 14 AWG), but I'd ideally like connectors that I can crimp, rather than solder (considering I'm going to be crimping everything else). I'd like to have a connector that will stand up to some re-use and ideally have panel mount variants of the female connector (I could mount one on the PSU enclosure).

Any thoughts on what may be a good option? :) I've found some Tamiya type connectors that look like they may fit the bill (although I haven't seen a panel mount version).

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
  3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Look at the connectors used in model aircraft (and other models) used to connect to LIPO batteries.

Another option are the Anderson connectors which are occasionally seen on UPS's for the connection of external batteries. I believe there are bulkhead adapters for these.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    that would be my choice as well :)

5. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions folks, I'm looking in to them now :).

edit: Looks like the Anderson Powerpole connectors are a good match.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    davenn likes this.
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I have used so many of them over the years for ham radio power leads in particular and all sorts of other power leads in general
    mainly with 12 - 14 VDC and up to 20A for the radio gear

Ian likes this.
  7. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    Thanks, I've ordered some just a few moments ago (30A version) :).

davenn likes this.
Ask a Question