Connect with us

Connection query

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by smoo, Nov 23, 2015.

1. smoo

smoo

Nov 23, 2015
    Hi and thanks in advance for advice.
    I have a set of LED fairy lights which have a 2 pin speaker DIN connection at the end - which should plug into an AC 6V power adaptor (the power adaptor has a socket for the DIN connection). However the power adaptor is broken and I am having real trouble tracking down a replacement. So - is there any way I can convert the DIN connection to something more commonly found? Or would it be possible to cut the DIN off and replace it with a conventional jack? Would this be difficult to do?
    Thank you!

2. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Hi smoo,
    Yes, you can cut off the Din connector and put in it's place any type of connector.
    I also assume your AC adapter is AC/DC 6 volts?
    Almost any adapter of 6v will work.

Martin

smoo likes this.
  3. smoo

smoo

Nov 23, 2015
    Hi Martin and thanks for speedy reply. I think I got that wrong - the information on the existing (broken) plug adaptor is as follows:

AC/AC Adaptor
    MODEL NF-240060
    INPUT 230-240V 50Hz
    OUTPUT 24V 250mA 6VA

but does your advice still stand? I would be able to snip off the DIN connection and replace it with a jack that will go into a more generic (easily found!) power supply? I am hoping I have one with the correct rating around the house - so will just have to change the connection!
    Thanks!

4. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Yes, still the same procedure.
    I don't know why they are AC though. Is there a controller too?

Martin

smoo likes this.
  5. smoo

smoo

Nov 23, 2015
    There is a little box that you can use to select whether they flash intermittently/are on all the time/flash slowly - is this what you mean?

6. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Yes, that's the controller and also converts it to DC.
    It must be that time of year again!
    How do you know the adapter is faulty and not the controller?

Martin

smoo likes this.
  7. smoo

smoo

Nov 23, 2015
    The plastic one of the three pin plug (the part that goes into the wall socket) has snapped off one set - and the other set, the adaptor is missing altogether!

8. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Ah ok. The one that the plastic centre top pin has snapped is not broken. These lights are not earthed.
    You could glue that back on. It is only needed to open the socket slot for the other two pins.
    Obviously you will need to find an adapter for the other set. Try a charity shop! Any 24v ac adaptor will do. Probably a 19v or 28v too. So it's not that critical.

Martin

smoo likes this.
  9. smoo

smoo

Nov 23, 2015
    Thanks so much! That is extremely helpful.

Martaine2005 likes this.
  10. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    You are welcome!

Martin

Ask a Question