Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connection From Welder To Generator

youthenme

Jun 7, 2010
Please let me know if this question is posted in the wrong location. I am new and this was my best guess.

The situation
I have a heavy duty electric cord with the proper connection to connect my welder to my generator.

Unfortunately, the welder is a three prone and it needs to connect to the plugin that goes into a four prone outlet on the generator.

My question
How do I hook up the three prone to the four? From the schematic I can tell which is the ground. So I know that from the three prone welder I hook the round ground to the "G" ground on the generator.

What do I do about the other two wires :confused:

Any help would be really amazing since I am pretty confused about the hookups.

For reference

The three prone looks like this. It is a Lincoln Electric AC-225C Arc Welder.
attachment.php

The outlet that I want to convert to looks like this. It is a Honda Model EM5000SX Generator showing the 240 Volt outlet.
attachment.php

A clip of the schematic of the Honda generator:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 3prone_small.jpg
    3prone_small.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 4prone_small.jpg
    4prone_small.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,802
  • schematic_part.png
    schematic_part.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,422

youthenme

Jun 7, 2010
Got an answer. Thought I would post in case others run into this:

On the generator, you will find 240Vac between Blue and Red. White is Neutral, meaning that there is 120Vac between White and Blue, and between White and Red. Green is frame ground.

On the welder, there should be 240Vac between the two angled prongs (L1 and L2). The Lshaped prong is frame ground (Green/Gnd). There is no connection to Neutral needed by the welder.

I would buy a four prong plug to match the generator. I would buy a Range or Dryer receptacle at Home Depot, and make a short adapter using #10AWG wire. Only three wires need be connected.