Connect with us

Connecting non-solderable wires

Discussion in 'Project Construction Technologies' started by HANKMARS, May 29, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. HANKMARS

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
    Using a crimp link may be too cumbersome trying to get a quality crimp tool in close quarters. Also, I have a bias towards using crimp on lugs on solid wires. Due to the low temps of this application, ceramic material would not be unnecessary. Terminal blocks are too bulky for the space available.

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Crimping solid wire is done everyday with no problems, regardless of other opinions.

HANKMARS likes this.
  3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Silver solder needs a blow torch to get sufficient temperature. I wonder how the cost compares with a mechanical connector.

HANKMARS and Bluejets like this.
  4. HANKMARS

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
    Well, I have come back to a crimp link. I put the wires through the link, bend the end over, then crimp, then fill the void with 60/40 tin/lead solder. That is the best method I have found yet. I tried to do a copper plating on end to be soldered but the copper did not adhere well to resistance wire. The heatshrinkable butt connectors did not make a reliable connection plus they required too much extra length of wire. So here I am. DSCF2924 (2).JPG

Ask a Question