Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connecting monitor speakers to home stereo

ssj4weed

Dec 22, 2013
Hi,

I wanted to buy the M-Audio AV-40 and connect them to an itrak SBP3700 (sound bar). The sound bar, or home stereo, has an av connectivity option as well as hdmi connections. Here are the connection options for the M-Audio AV-40 speakers:

1 x Balanced audio input ( Phone stereo 6.3 mm ),
1 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ),
1 x Audio line-in ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ),
1 x Headphones ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm )

Is it possible for me to connect the two and get sound out of the both of them or do they not connect? Or will the sound be carried out only through the speakers?

If this connection is not possible, are there any other speakers or subwoofers that I can connect to the sound bar? I just want to add on to the sound of the sound bar. I am not very experienced with connecting speakers and things along those lines.

Thanks for the help! :)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Looks like the only ouput you have is the headphone socket. You would need to connect this to an amplfier to hear it properly. Sounds like you want some sort of surround sound system. I don't think you will get the desired sound you require. Subwoofers are bass speakers and you would need some sort of filter to make the best of this. If you just want a louder sound you could think oof putting the output into a stero. I have done this but make sure you keep the input low as it might sound distorted.
Thanks Adam

ssj4weed

Dec 22, 2013
I am trying to build up a surround system using the sound bar that I already have, yes!

By the way, I am guessing this amplifier is a separate device from the M-Audio AV-40 speakers? It says that there is an integrated amplifier within these set of speakers. Can't I just use those as amplifiers then if they are already in the speakers or Should I just get a seperate amplifier?

I was looking at this subwoofer:

http://www.smarthome.com/8205S08/BIC-8-Inch-100-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer/p.aspx

It's not a heavy duty one but it looks like it should do the job and I have read satisfactory reviews on it.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ah this is a powered sub so you should just be able to plug this in and it should have all you need. Unless the amp has othe r than a headphone out you would need an amlified speaker set to hear it. If you have a home stereo with aux in you could use this. Otherwise you will need some sort of amlifier. I am not sure on what other equipment you have.
Thanks
Adam

ssj4weed

Dec 22, 2013
Thanks a lot I just purchased the subwoofer and the speakers. I'll see how it all turns out and if I do need an amplifier indeed.

Thanks,
John