Connect with us

connecting LEDs in series

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by adel2014, May 16, 2015.

1. adel2014

adel2014

Dec 1, 2013
    hello every body , Greetings from Egypt , i am going to do a LEDs signs for cars using a SMD leds as showing , and i was asking Why i can not connect LEDs in series with out resistor , the supply is 12V and the number of LEDs in series is 6 , so every LED will take 2V - in the safe zone - , why i must put a resistor

Attached Files:

2. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Provide evidence of exactly what type of LED you are using.
    You can make a BIG mistake.

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Please check out this, it will answer all of your questions and then some. Anything you don't understand, just ask :)

PRIYADHARSHINI likes this.
  4. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    For your simplistic understanding:
    LED's don't behave like resistors - they don't follow i=v/r.

Once they light up, the variation of current is very large for a small variation of voltage making it practically impossible to control the current and limit it to avoid a burnout.

So you use a suitable resistor to limit the current or use a current source instead of a voltage source.

5. PRIYADHARSHINI

PRIYADHARSHINI

Feb 6, 2014
    First You just check out your LED colour.each colour has different forward voltage(Vf).and you decide your forward current (If)...it depends upon your brightness level.
    for example R (curent limiting resistor) = (Vs - (Total Vf of all 6 series LED)/If

6. adel2014

adel2014

Dec 1, 2013
    thanks all , i appreciate your efforts

Ask a Question