Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connecting balanced output with unbalaned input using adaptor

Ronx

Jul 30, 2019
I want to connect my audio interface (balanced TRS jack output) with guitar pedal (unbalanced TS jack input) and I wonder if this kind of adapter will work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JYSMV0/ref=psdc_172544_t1_B000068O4M

I'd plug TRS male to my output in interface and then connect TS cable to female input of this adapter, then the other end of TS cable would go to the guitar pedal. Can that adaptor I linked above be used interchangeably with the one below? https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPP-290-TRS-TS-Adaptor/dp/B000068O4M

The first one (female TS to male TRS) I'd plug on the output side of my audio interface and then go to guitar pedal with TS cable.

The second one (female TRS to male TS) I'd plug on the input side of my guitar pedal and use TRS cable to connect it to audio interface.

So are they interchangeable and will either of them work for sending signal from my audio interface to guitar pedal?

Manuals does not say anything about it.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
So are they interchangeable and will either of them work for sending signal from my audio interface to guitar pedal?

when you go from 3 wire TRS to 2 wire TS it's no longer going to be a balanced system and you leave it open to earth loop hums etc

Ronx

Jul 30, 2019
when you go from 3 wire TRS to 2 wire TS it's no longer going to be a balanced system and you leave it open to earth loop hums etc
Thanks for the response. However, what is the purpose of TS to TRS cable? I believe it won't magically change signal from unbalanced to balanced because some sort of device would be responsible for it. So what does it do?

Also, does TRS to TS cable just leaves ring floating? Or connects ring to sleeve?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
However, what is the purpose of TS to TRS cable?
Adaptor..
The adapter you link to Changes a mono signal TS to a double mono for TRS. It does nothing more than split the signal.

does TRS to TS cable just leaves ring floating? Or connects ring to sleeve?
It grounds the ring, probably the right channel in stereo form.

However, what you require are TRS to TS converters not adapters. The converters have a small transformer inside. Have a look here.
What ever choice you make, the signal will be unbalanced.

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
^^^ what he said ^^^^

well stated :)

Ronx

Jul 30, 2019
Thank you for response. Could you tell me what would be the difference when going from balanced TRS to TS with adapter I shown and the converter you mentioned when plugging into unbalanced pedal input? I think in both cases signal will be unbalanced, what's the other difference? Will sound be affected differently?

PS I read about this and noticed that converter you posted it will turn Signal voltage up in 1/10 ratio (in addition to grounding ring, I suppose), while adapter will only grounds ring, leaving signal at line level. Is it the only difference?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited: