Connect with us

Connecting 2 PIR security senser together

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gregrae, Apr 2, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gregrae

gregrae

Jan 12, 2011
    How to wirer 2 PIR sensors together.
    The 12 v is connectored in parallel.
    How is the tamper and alarm wired to gogether on the 2 sensors and where do I place the resistors 2k2 in the circuit. Could you supply me with a circuit digram
    One sensor is already connectored to the main panel.
    This is the security system and the PIR I want to wirer in.
    Can you supply me with a circuit digram. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Can you supply details on the sensor?
    Thanks.

3. gregrae

gregrae

Jan 12, 2011
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This is the sensor I wish to install

4. gregrae

gregrae

Jan 12, 2011
    image.jpg image.jpg This is a photo of the sensor connected to the panel

5. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    The answer is in your instruction sheets but I cannot make out the terminal markings for a better answer as the photos are out of focus, sorry.

Is the second PIR different from the first?
    If so, I would be inclined to connect as a seperate zone.

6. gregrae

gregrae

Jan 12, 2011
    Which photos are out of focus and I will resend new ones

7. ChosunOne

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
    Photos are nice, but details such as the make and model number of the control panel and PIR are even better. If you're using mainstream equipment, chances are good that we'll be able to Google up the installation manuals ourselves.

(If you're using cheap Chinese off-brand junk from eBay, chances are good that you'll have trouble with it no matter how you install it. )

I definitely support Bluejets's advice that each motion sensor should have its own zone. If/when you get an intermittent false-alarm problem with a PIR, it may happen only once in a long while and you will want to know which PIR is doing it. Infrequent and intermittent falsing problems can be difficult to troubleshoot, and neighbors' patience can be stretched if it continues. You want to know which area has a problem on the first alarm.

If you're short on zones, I would personally recommend doubling up on door and window zones, not on motion sensors. I would rather have every door and window in the house on one zone, than have two motion sensors on a zone. This comes from around 40 years of troubleshooting experience with alarm systems.

Falsing from PIRs is nearly always caused by a transient environmental condition. Troubleshooting may involve going over the coverage area with a fine-tooth comb (figuratively speaking), looking for possible causes and trying to address the suspect condition(s). If you are ever reduced to doing it that way, you want to be doing it in one sensor's coverage area, not two or more.

Speaking of which, read the cautions on your installation instructions carefully and heed them. If you have pets and have purchased a "pet-immune" PIR, take that claim with a grain of salt: There is no such thing. There are "pet-resistant" PIRs, but "pet-immune" is sales hype.

All that being said, brand-name PIRs are very good these days and if you follow the instructions that come with it, chances are reasonably good that it'll be trouble-free.
    Chances are also good that you won't be in a collision on your way to work tomorrow, but I'd recommend wearing a seat belt anyway--because erring on the side of caution every day sometimes pays off on that one unusual day. Which is why I recommend giving your new PIR its own zone.

Ask a Question