Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connect 24V 2wire sensor to 5v Logic

Dimitrios Mitsas

Oct 21, 2015
Hello all and thank you for reading me. As the tittle suggests I have a pressure sensor from SMC that works on 24V and it's a 2 wire one (brown blue) I did read the manual and I was able to use a 3 wire sensor at 24V using a voltage divider. But I can't really figure out how to connect this sensor on one of the pins of my micro-controller (5V logic I mentioned). I did search mister Google a lot but the only thing I found are pictures having the sensor connected in parallel with the power supply and a "magic" load in series. Any help is appreciated.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Sorry, I don't have any experience with that kind of sensor. That said, I think you could put a voltage divider from the brown to the blue wires, using resistors >> the series resistor, which should be set to something like 1K. So maybe:

brown -> 10K <--> 2.5K -> blue

Then take the signal from the joint of the two resistors.

This would provide approximately 4.8V when then switch is OFF and 0V when the switch is ON.

Bob

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You could connect through an optoisolator as shown in the data sheet for PLC connection.
Adapt to suit your application.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
That appears to be a 2 wire sensor and requires the voltage from the load of the sensor to also power itself.
As opposed to the 3 wire type that use +/- & out.
It also appears to be a level switch as opposed to a linear output which Would require the 3 terminal type.
They are intended for relatively high impedance inputs.
I assume you want to interface with a MicroProcessor?
You could use an Opto as shown in the data sheet.
M.

Dimitrios Mitsas

Oct 21, 2015
Thank you all very much for the replies. I will first try with a voltage divider like bob suggested and then with an optoisolator. Thanks again.