Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Connect 12V LEDs to 2 12V car deep cycle batteries

Tracker

Dec 19, 2017
I want to connect four 12" 12V LED strip lights to a bank of two 12V deep cycle batteries in series. If I connect them to the pos. and neg. terminals of just one of the batteries will they get just 12V, or will they get over-juiced at 24V?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That will be fine with respect to the voltage delivered to the strip, however if these batteries are charged in series, you need to keep the load on each battery as close as possible to the same.

If the LED strips are identical and use resistors to limit current, you can connect pairs of these in series and power them from 24V.

Note that connecting strips in series IS NOT the same as connecting one strip to the end of the other.

Tracker

Dec 19, 2017
That will be fine with respect to the voltage delivered to the strip, however if these batteries are charged in series, you need to keep the load on each battery as close as possible to the same.

If the LED strips are identical and use resistors to limit current, you can connect pairs of these in series and power them from 24V.

Note that connecting strips in series IS NOT the same as connecting one strip to the end of the other.

Lights like these or similar are what I have in mind: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q9M33W0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A368XWQHXB3YQO&psc=1

The description includes: "just one resistor to make multiple smaller clusters that each run on 12 volt."

The batteries are wired in series and charged with a 24V charger so they are charged in series, if I understand it correctly.

Would I be able to connect two of the strips to each battery's +/- terminals to keep the load equal. Or are you suggesting I connect the + leads of a pair of the lights to + of one battery and the - to the - of the other battery, and the same for the other pair of lights?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you connect the - of light 1 to the + of light 2, then you can connect the + of light 1 and the - of light 2 up to 24 volts.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
And make sure the strips are the same kind and the same length. Otherwise they will not split the voltage equally.

Bob

Tracker

Dec 19, 2017
If you connect the - of light 1 to the + of light 2, then you can connect the + of light 1 and the - of light 2 up to 24 volts.

Thanks for your help, and I do need help! So, for two light strips, after making those connections do I connect to the batteries as I've illustrated in the attached drawing?

I want to use 4 light strips. Do I just add -/+ leads from lights 3 and 4 to the like leads of 1 and 2 as above?

Excuse my inexperience, but it wouldn't work to just twist together the positive wires and negative wires of lights 1 and 2 and attach them (two strips) to -/+ terminals of one battery; then repeat with the with lights 3 and 4, connecting to the second battery, I mean?

Thanks for explaining it in simple terms for me.led wiring.JPG

Attachments

• led wiring.JPG
    led wiring.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No that's dreadfully wrong.

Please wait until I (or someone else) can draw you a picture.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Do it like this:

upload_2018-4-1_21-18-28.png

If you want to connect another pair of lights wire them the same way and attatch them to the batteries too.

Tracker

Dec 19, 2017
Do it like this:

View attachment 40453

If you want to connect another pair of lights wire them the same way and attatch them to the batteries too.

Thanks. I've decided to use just two 12V strips wired in series to my 24V system and want to use one of these RF controllers, but I'm not certain how toled strips and controllers.JPG wire the controller in the system. Could you please explain or illustrate it in terms simple enough for a caveman to understand?! I really do appreciate your taking the time to help me.
Do it like this:

View attachment 40453

Thanks. I've decided to use just two 12V strips wired in series to my 24V system and want to use one of these RF controllers, but I'm not certain how to wire the controller in the system. Could you please explain or illustrate it in terms simple enough for a caveman to understand?! I really do appreciate your taking the time to help me.

led strips and controllers.JPG

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm not sure a caveman could do it, but I have faith in your abilities.

The controller is rated for 24 volts, so the input connections can be connected to your 24V supply.

The two 12V strips (which are now connected to allow their operation from 24V) can be connected to the output.

Essentially, that controller box slips in between the battery and your LED strips.

Draw us a diagram just so we know you've got it right.

Edit: I've described the connection to the controller on the left, but it looks like the controller on the right is functionally equivalent. The main difference is you have to connect wires rather than connect to a terminal block.

Tracker

Dec 19, 2017
I'm not sure a caveman could do it, but I have faith in your abilities.

The controller is rated for 24 volts, so the input connections can be connected to your 24V supply.

The two 12V strips (which are now connected to allow their operation from 24V) can be connected to the output.

Essentially, that controller box slips in between the battery and your LED strips.

Draw us a diagram just so we know you've got it right.

Edit: I've described the connection to the controller on the left, but it looks like the controller on the right is functionally equivalent. The main difference is you have to connect wires rather than connect to a terminal block.

Stay tuned...will get back to this soon. The wife’s “honey-do” takes precedence!

Tracker

Dec 19, 2017
Stay tuned...will get back to this soon. The wife’s “honey-do” takes precedence!

Well, the illustration is a bit funky, but this is my understanding of how the screw terminals would be connected between the batteries and light strips, and I hope it's not dreadfully wrong--if it is I know you will set me straight.

I believe the other hand-held RF controller would simply be wired in-line pos/neg in/out via the striped wires on the controller do-hickey?

And, if I decided to wire all four of my light strips up, I would just be wiring them in pairs, in series coming off the controller?

Thanks for helping and feel free to provide details in plain English.led strips and controllers wired.JPG

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That looks pretty good. I think the joined red and black wires on the battery side are just from the church and paste you did, and that you wouldn't wire then up (they don't go anywhere anyway.

I'm sure you can connect all 4 strips to the one controller if you want them to all be controlled together.

The remote control may operate from a much lower voltage, so beware.

Tracker

Dec 19, 2017
That looks pretty good. I think the joined red and black wires on the battery side are just from the church and paste you did, and that you wouldn't wire then up (they don't go anywhere anyway.

I'm sure you can connect all 4 strips to the one controller if you want them to all be controlled together.

The remote control may operate from a much lower voltage, so beware.

Yes, about that "funky" part, I did a quickie crop, chop and paste and didn't take time to clean up those dead end wires that don't go anywhere.

I'm not smart enough to understand the implications of the lower voltage of the remote control. Would you please school me? Thanks, Steve.

Note: the RF controller is labeled output voltage 5-24V, and the description says "COMPATIBLE WITH ALL 12-24V DC Single Color LED light strips."

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There remote control is probably powered by a single 3V coin cell. Powering it from 12 or 24 volts would probably result in some amount of smoke.

Some larger remotes are powered by a single small 12v battery, but spikes that exist in a car electrical system could damage them if they were directly connected.

There are various ways of providing a safe source of lower voltage, but the coin cells typically last a long time anyway.

Tracker

Dec 19, 2017
There remote control is probably powered by a single 3V coin cell. Powering it from 12 or 24 volts would probably result in some amount of smoke.

Some larger remotes are powered by a single small 12v battery, but spikes that exist in a car electrical system could damage them if they were directly connected.

There are various ways of providing a safe source of lower voltage, but the coin cells typically last a long time anyway.

Thanks for your help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yes, for safety I would always insert a fuse.

timff

Apr 13, 2018
One additional thought. Sometimes people think "deep discharge" of a battery means going to zero. It might be a good idea to keep the charge to at least 25% and possibly 40% to avoid short battery life.