Connect with us

Confused about transformer windings

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hrishib, Oct 27, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hrishib

hrishib

Aug 30, 2013
    I have a toroidal transformer which has two 115V primaries and two secondaries rated at 25VA each (2x18V each capable of delivering 1.389A). I've attached the datasheet here. I'm a bit confused about using this with 230VAC primary voltage. Can I connect the two primaries in series (blue+green connected, 230V mains AC between Brown and Violet) to get 230VAC and the two secondaries in parallel (Red+Yellow and Black+Orange) to get 18V at 2.778A? Color codes are specific to this datasheet.

Attached Files:

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Connecting the primary windings in series should be OK but they MUST be connected correctly.

The secondaries can be connected in parallel if the transformer has been made to have identical voltages. If the voltages are not identical then one winding will feed power into the other. They MUST be connected correctly.

3. hrishib

hrishib

Aug 30, 2013
    Thanks Duke. Yes they have identical voltages on both the primary and secondary sides. Are the connections that I've suggested the right way to do it?

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes, your colours are right.

Ask a Question