Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Conductive Grease

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
So this isn't really electronics but does anyone know of any conductive grease/compound or low temp solder?

I need some solder that will melt at a relatively low temp (about 100 degrees Celsius)

OR

conductive compound/grease that is rated for 5VDC at up to 600A

any ideas?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm trying to figure out your application.
Dow Chemical makes a boat-load of chemicals, I buy their THERMALLY conductive
grease all the time, but I'm thinking maybe you're intending to make an electrical connection
for some device that you don't want to get too hot.
I think you'll get some good ideas if we know a little more about what you're trying to do.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
We use 1/0 and 4/0 cables where I work testing batteries, for ease of manipulation of cables for testing we want to run the 4/0 to the test chambers, then splice it down to 1/0 but the connections get a little shady and they cant always support the high currents needed

So I need some electrically conductive grease/compound or a low temp solder as the cables will heat sink away most of the heat from a soldering iron, and the casing will melt/burn

With those connections up to 240 Amps it usually runs fine, but above that (we test all the way up to 600 Amps sometimes) the cables cause the power supplies to fault, so we need to strengthen the connections

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Wow, I haven't worked with that high an amperage before.
Have you considered just using bolts and large fork tongue lugs?
Electrical switchgear uses dual-sided metal contacts, that the connector slides a
mating single metal contactor in between, to make the electrical contact.
Kind of like how a regualr 120VAC wall socket accepts one of the plugs from an appliance
that you plug into it.
I can't visualize your set-up, but I would be thinking in terms of making my own special
jig to easily make and swap connections. Something that makes firm, dependable
contact, and avoid jury-rigging temporary connections that might not give you solid
reliable contact for each and every test.
Have you looked-into industrial grade High Voltgage electrical supply company offerings?

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Once they are connected they wont be changed, its a small metal lug that the cables slide into then we crimp them together, but for the 4/0 to 1/0 there is an additional sleeve that goes into the lug to adapt the size, so the connection isnt very strong

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Drill out the metal lug, stick a threaded rod into it, bolt the threaded rod on both sides
to your test assemby.
Put ring-tongue terminal lugs on the ends of your different sized wires, and bolt them to
the threaded rod.
As long as you've insulated the connections from ground, you should have what you need.

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
Hey GreanGiant......look into Marinco Connectors. I use them all the time.

We do 1000V/1000A pulses through them. You can easily do 600A continous.

crash

Mar 31, 2012
Have you tried Penetrox. Its more of an antioxidant but it is conductive. I use it on aluminum conductors (required be NEC) for electrical services of similar currents. Available at Lowes or Home Depot and fairly cheap.