Connect with us

Conditionally Allow A Bridged Circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mkz71, Jul 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mkz71

mkz71

Jul 7, 2013
    I want to start off by saying I am new to electronics. I have a generic PCB with two modes, the toggle of these modes is done by bridging two solder pads with solder. Unfortunately, I want to conditionally use both modes of this board. I assume I can use wire to make the connection between both solder pads, but is there a way to conditionally allow the connection? This is probably simple electronics, but I just don't have the knowledge of such things yet.

2. NuLED

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
    I am also new but from what you said, I assume conditionally means you will have another way to toggle the activation? If you do that manually you can use a switch that you flip or press with your fingers.

If you want to do that solid state, then you will trigger the condition using what are called LOGIC GATES that are comprised of transistors. These would then be triggered using a binary ON/OFF or HIGH/LOW voltage that you supply from another circuit. Essentially, you are building the most basic component of computer chips. Most likely the type of logic you will do is an XOR operation (only one of either, mutually exclusive).

You can also build this not using transistors or chips, but using RELAYS which are much larger but do not involve semiconductors. They are just electromagnets that switch things on or off, depending on how they connect the wires with or without electricity supplied to them.

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Usually this is done with a pin strip header with 2 pins and a shorting block that can be easily placed or removed.

Bob

Ask a Question