Connect with us

computer powering off quickly

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by einstein, Jan 18, 2011.

1. einstein

einstein

Jan 8, 2011
    i am having a computer which powers off (i don't mean shutting down) , when i do video conversion or watch movies/videos , it does no happen regularly but happens in random times , i uninstalled all the codecs and chipset driver , and i re-installed the chipset driver , so i don't think it is a software problem , can it be a hardware issue of the motherboard or the atx power supply ???
    have anyone else faced it ??
    if yes what measures did you take to solve the problem ??

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Take a look at all the heatsinks. You may have one or more of them clogged with dust. This happens mostly on heatsinks with fans attached. Also the fans can seize -- make sure they turn freely when off, and spin when the computer is turned on.

3. jerryg50

jerryg50

Apr 18, 2010
    It sounds like you have a failing power supply, or a card or device in the computer that is pulling too much current, and the power supply is going in to protect. The most common fault is the faulty power supply.

Jerry G.

Ask a Question