Maker Pro
Maker Pro

computer not booting

scientifico

Mar 13, 2012
Hello, today I got one 128MB sdram for my old computer and I mounted it in the last slot available but after the computer booted it only recognized the first ram out of 3 installed. So I started changing the ram modules order and playing with some jumper near the bios and its battery. Now my computer just boots (fans ok) but there are no beep at all and the HD led stays always on like the power led, maybe I have damnaged the bios chip in some way but i'm not sure or I forced a bit while attaching the ram module :(
what can I do now ?

Thanks

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
Remove all peripherals, install the ram in the original configuration, reset BIOS.

BlinkingLeds

Feb 23, 2013
OR remove all ram and listen if it makes any beep when you try to boot it. If it does the BIOS is probably ok

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So RAM or no RAM you get the same BIOS beeps?

Not a great sign.

See if there is a jumper to reset the bios and try again. Again, first with no RAM, then with the presumed good RAM.

If it still doesn't work. Look at the RAM sockets carefully. Are there any places where it looks burned or discoloured? I have seen a couple of motherboards where the owner has inserted either the wrong RAM, or the right RAM backwards with pretty disastrous results.

In both recent cases I thought it best to replace motherrboard, RAM, and processor :(

scientifico

Mar 13, 2012
So RAM or no RAM you get the same BIOS beeps?

Not a great sign.

See if there is a jumper to reset the bios and try again. Again, first with no RAM, then with the presumed good RAM.

If it still doesn't work. Look at the RAM sockets carefully. Are there any places where it looks burned or discoloured? I have seen a couple of motherboards where the owner has inserted either the wrong RAM, or the right RAM backwards with pretty disastrous results.

In both recent cases I thought it best to replace motherrboard, RAM, and processor :(
In every case I don't get any beep at all, it just starts hard disk, lights, cd unit, fans, etc, the hdd led stays always on. I have reset the bios many time but it looks out

Last edited:

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
. So I started changing the ram modules order and playing with some jumper near the bios and its battery.

Jumpers should not be touch if its only RAM problem. Only the jumper to clear cmos or set to default setting of cmos.

Check keyboard LED if it blinks upon power on. If it does not blink.. You have dead motherboard.

Last edited:

scientifico

Mar 13, 2012
Probably I set the bios jumper voltage to 5V instead of 3.3V, do I have to change the bios chip ?

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
Removed cable for hardisk, cd and video card if any. Install 1 ram only. This is to test if 1 of the 3 ram have defect. Be sure that you connect speaker connector. Turn on power and there should a number beeping code long and short sound. If it does anything try othe RAM 1 by 1. Also observed keyboard LED blink.

Check also power supply connector on motherboard. There should no burn mark on 3 RED ( +5V) wire pin. This will cause around 4.5V reading in motherboard causing it not to boot.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
may I be so bold to ask the model number of the mother board

scientifico

Mar 13, 2012
There are no beep in any case, same situation with or without hard disk, grapich card, ram, cd, etc ...

BlinkingLeds

Feb 23, 2013
I think the motherboard is fried. Try putting all the jumpers in their default position and give it a shot again
There should had been some beep with no ram. All MB that i had made a beep if they had no ram.

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
RIP, you are not alone. A strange thing is that last weekend my spare computer started exhibiting similar behavior. Turned out to be a sick hard drive.

ayazmangla

May 17, 2013
Hello frd. First of all remove all ram and clean with eraser and put again into the slat by one by one then check it