Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Computer monitor power issue

Mthomas55

Feb 18, 2020
I have an old HP VS19 monitor that would not power on. When I pressed the power button it would light up for a second and go off. I discovered some of the capacitors on the circuit board where popped so i replaced them. They were 1000uF 10V capacitors and I replaced them with 1000uF 35V. Now when I plug in the monitor it turns on without touching the power button and I can't turn it off with the power button, but only by unplugging it. Any suggestions what may be causing this? Thank you.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi and welcome to EP :)

Any suggestions what may be causing this? Thank you.

caps back to front ( reversed polarity) or maybe you made an accidental solder bridge when swapping the caps

some photos of the solder side where the caps were replaced would help

Dave

Last edited:

Mthomas55

Feb 18, 2020
Thank you Dave for your response. I will take a photo of the board and post it as soon as I can. This board had circles with one side shaded. Does the shaded side correspond with the negative side of the capacitor? That is how I installed them.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Does the shaded side correspond with the negative side of the capacitor?

Unfortunately, I have seen it both ways.

It's best to note the polarity when you remove the old capacitors.

Mthomas55

Feb 18, 2020
Here is a picture of the solder side. This is the only one that would upload. I'm fairly certain I got the polarity right, as the other caps on the board were on the same way. The caps I replaced are labeled C822, C823 & C824. Although I've done some soldering before, this is the first time ever on a circuit board. I may have put a bit too much solder at the points. I appreciate anyone's input on this.
DSC04235.jpg

[Mod note: resized, brightened and placed inline for easier viewing]

Last edited by a moderator:

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Please have a close look at your soldering around C823 and check that the legs are connected to what they need to connect and do not connect to bits that they shouldn't connect to. I can't see what's going on at the left leg of C823. Don't like the looks of that bit to the left of the left leg

Mthomas55

Feb 18, 2020
Please have a close look at your soldering around C823 and check that the legs are connected to what they need to connect and do not connect to bits that they shouldn't connect to. I can't see what's going on at the left leg of C823. Don't like the looks of that bit to the left of the left leg

Thank you much! I will look into it and post the results.