Maker Pro
Maker Pro

computer/amp interface

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Just getting to grips with updating my guitar playing equip.

Now using windows 8 and find that when I plug the output from the earphone socket to the amplifier the output is too great and distortion results.
Obviously I need an interface between them to correct the imbalance.

Anybody got any answers for me?

Deigh Davies (NZ):confused:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
earphone socket on the PC I assume

what input was it going into on the amp ?
it should be into a line input, not a mic or some other

Did you try adjusting the volume level in Win7 mixer ?

Dave

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
The reason for the distortion was because of 60hz in ac line ground connection. If you can find wireless or bluetooth audio interface between pc and amplifier it will eliminate the distortion.

Last edited:

DuctDuck

Jan 26, 2013
First try to lower the input level (like DaveN's post) and using a different port. I think he recognizes you musicians as being the too loud types!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
If the problem is just too much signal, first see if there's a less sensitive input on the amp (e.g. a line-level input). If not, you can make an attenuator with resistors. If the amp input is mono, you can also mix the left and right outputs of the computer together in the process of attenuating the signal. Google "voltage divider" or give us some more details and someone here will draw up a diagram.

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
The reason for the distortion was because of 60hz in ac line ground connection. If you can find wireless or bluetooth audio interface between pc and amplifier it will eliminate the distortion.

computer could handle it but amplifier is like me long in tooth!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
First try to lower the input level (like DaveN's post) and using a different port. I think he recognizes you musicians as being the too loud types!

Me sir?, not me sir! me quiet musician. My group's name is 'Couth, Kempt and Shevelled'

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
If the problem is just too much signal, first see if there's a less sensitive input on the amp (e.g. a line-level input). If not, you can make an attenuator with resistors. If the amp input is mono, you can also mix the left and right outputs of the computer together in the process of attenuating the signal. Google "voltage divider" or give us some more details and someone here will draw up a diagram.

Thanks, will try the search, but would appreciate a circuit!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
You didnt even bother to respond to my suggestions
or answer my questions

do that and tell us the results

and if you large font anything again I will delete the posts !!

Dave

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
You didnt even bother to respond to my suggestions
or answer my questions

do that and tell us the results

and if you large font anything again I will delete the posts !!

Dave

Sorry about not answering, didn't realise it was required to answer everyone, Answered four out of five
My amp has no line in. I liked your idea of adjusting the volume in the computer and planned to have a look at in today. The downfall was that one would have to remember to reset it
All answers led me to searching internet for a DI interface which I intend to buy. I did accept an offer of a circuit but since a DI can cost me as little as $45 I've decided to purchase one from a shop and not pay postage.

I rather liked the idea of large fonts it gave expression like the smilies, but if you dont like them then I'll not use them again.
:D