Connect with us

Component help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by sgrol, Jul 11, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sgrol

sgrol

Jul 11, 2014
    Can someone help me with this component. I know it's bad but don't know what to search for as a replacement. It goes in a ceiling fan remote control receiver board. I will try to post pic of component and board where it goes. The burnt spot on the board was where the old 47 ohm resistor burnt out. It has since been replaced.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Most of the info is there for you.
    From your board picture, looks like it has a 'C7' designation which is usually capacitor.
    From your component picture, it looks like pretty much all the info on there is required.
    1.6μF Capacitor rated for 250V, there are some other details that are missing like the chemistry/type though, so I'll hang out in this thread for a little bit.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  3. sgrol

sgrol

Jul 11, 2014
    Ok, I see the C7 now. I kept trying to make sense of the TRIAC2 but now see that it points to another component. Did a quick search for a 1.6 uF capacitor but could not find one that looks like the injured one.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi sgrol
    welcome to electronics point :)
    Yeah I can see how the TRIAC1 or 2 could have confused you
    But that's where a little electronics knowledge is helpful ;)

You mite not find the same make and model
    you only have to make sure the capacitance is close (1.47uF to 2uF range) and voltage value is the same or higher
    look for those values in the mylar, polypropylene types

try Mouser, Farnell, digikey

cheers
    Dave

5. sgrol

sgrol

Jul 11, 2014
    Excellent, thanks Dave and Gryd3!

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    As a side-note, I think you should trace the circuit back, and find out what blew that cap. I don't think it died by itself.
    If you just replace the resistor and the cap, you're liable to just blow them again. You probably lost a semiconductor ahead of those two components, which caused the physical damage.
    Good luck wth the repair.

7. sgrol

sgrol

Jul 11, 2014
    Having trouble finding 250 vac or higher. Some are rated 250 vdc or just 250v. Does ac or dc or no designation matter?

8. sgrol

sgrol

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm a parts changer and don't have enough electrical knowledge to trace problems. I can replace the obvious but if it gets deeper than that it goes in the trash. This fan remote control said to NOT use a variable voltage control ahead of it but just an on/off switch. The previous home owner put variable voltage controls on all of the ceiling fans. This particular one was the only one that had a remote. My guess is that the variable switch blew the remote. I have already bought a new remote for the fan and will replace the wall switch with off on type. I like to fix things and am just messing with this to see if I can get it working. You guys are way over my head with your knowledge but I do like to learn new stuff.

9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    In this application you'd probably be best using an X2 rated capacitor. These are rated for mains use in situations similar to the one this is used in. They are also designed to (but not absolutely guaranteed to) fail safely. And you're right to query what 250VAC means. 250VAC has a peak voltage of about 350 volts. Because of the nature of mains use, X2 rated capacitors allow significantly higher voltages. The original does not appear to be an X2 rated capacitor.

10. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Have we asked where you are? We might be able to suggest a supplier. If you can measure the physical size of the failed component and the distance between the holes on the board, we may be able to suggest a suitable component.

11. sgrol

sgrol

Jul 11, 2014
    Live just north of Houston. Holes on board are 1 3/8" apart, body of cap is 1 1/4" long 1/2" wide or high and 1/4" thick.

12. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK In my first post I gave you several supplier names

250V rated capacitors are very common

cheers
    Dave

13. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, I've looked up some capacitors that I think will work.

Look here.

None have the required lead spacing, but 1.476 inches might be close enough.

These will be physically larger, but if you have room, they should be a reasonable replacement.

Here is a non-X2 rated cap that might also be OK. It has the same axial leads as the original. Again, size might be an issue.

14. sgrol

sgrol

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks Steve. Size is going to be an issue as the board has to fit into the ceiling fan hanger and there is very little room. I appreciate your help in searching. I will search some of my old PC boards to see if I can find something to put in to test the board.

15. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    In response to Bob's unspoken thoughts -- I read 1.6uF on the component but then when I searched I went looking for something entirely different.

I recommend that sgrol looks for a 1.6uF capacitor :)

16. sgrol

sgrol

Jul 11, 2014
    I was going to ask about the 2.2 value but didn't want to ask a dumb question.

17. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    The only thing dumb about asking that question would be me. :D

It would only have been a stupid question if I had already explained why I was suggesting that new value and you had simply decided not to read it (willful ignorance). Had you read it and not understood, it would still not be a stupid question.

18. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Steve, I unspoke my thoughts due to the fact that I could not find a workable solution. 1.6uF caps can be had, but they are very expensive.

Anyway, my concern was that the cap is used as a ballast for a transformerless power supply, and the value is likely to be critical (unlike most capacitors). The evidence for this is the voltage rating + the fact that they used an unusual value. 1.5uF would be easier to find and you could parallel a .1 (which would be easier to find at 250V) to make 1.6.

In fact, here is a 1.5 at a reasonable price. Mouser has no 1.6 that they stock and will sell in less than hundreds.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECQ-U2A155KL/?qs=/ha2pyFadujuHIr5Yj8HTVz5AzwplXalytY8VpKo19xYcplazAAVTeE9sZ0x4pmL

Bob

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    (*steve*) likes this.
Ask a Question