Connect with us

component for Serial data

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by michaelmartin2758, Nov 10, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. michaelmartin2758

michaelmartin2758

Nov 25, 2010
    hi everyone.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction about which component to use

I have built a midi in interface for an Arduino board like the one pictured which connects to the Arduino RX pin....everything works fine...

I am now running that serial data into another 3 Arduino's the way i'm doing it is just joining the wires together..everything works but i'm thinking there should be some ic to do this rather than just twisting the wires together .

has it got something to do with dmux. ?????

a point in the right direction would really help me out

thanks for reading

you guys rock

Attached Files:

• rx.jpg
      rx.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
  2. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    What's the distance between the Arduinos?

Basically you could add a noninverting buffer after the optocoupler. As long as you only listen, or use the Rx input on the Arduinos you don't need more, if the distance is not too great.

If you also want the Arduinos to Tx, you'll need more logic or design a wired OR design. It all depends on the normal(idle) state of the Tx line. I would try to google this type of interface and implement it to each of the boards, if you want two way communication.

3. michaelmartin2758

michaelmartin2758

Nov 25, 2010
    thanks gorgon

the distance between the arduino's is only a couple of inches..and i'm only using the rx input on the board
    is it advisable do you think to add a buffer. or just leave as is

thanks again

4. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    You're pull-up resistor is 270Ω. It should have no problem driving the hi z inputs of multiple arduinos. If the runs were long then it would be a concern because we get into proper transmission line issues, signal reflection, etc. I don't think you'll experience any of this at the distances you mentioned.

Chris

5. michaelmartin2758

michaelmartin2758

Nov 25, 2010
    what can i say .......... other than ............thanks
    you guys are a fountain of knowledge.... for people who are self learning....
    i only hope one day soon i can answer some questions for other people ...this is surely what the internet was invented for....

6. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    You're welcome. Enjoy the learning!

Chris

Ask a Question