Maker Pro
Maker Pro

component for Serial data

michaelmartin2758

Nov 25, 2010
hi everyone.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction about which component to use

I have built a midi in interface for an Arduino board like the one pictured which connects to the Arduino RX pin....everything works fine...

I am now running that serial data into another 3 Arduino's the way i'm doing it is just joining the wires together..everything works but i'm thinking there should be some ic to do this rather than just twisting the wires together .

has it got something to do with dmux. ?????

a point in the right direction would really help me out

thanks for reading

you guys rock

Attachments

• rx.jpg
    rx.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 147

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
What's the distance between the Arduinos?

Basically you could add a noninverting buffer after the optocoupler. As long as you only listen, or use the Rx input on the Arduinos you don't need more, if the distance is not too great.

If you also want the Arduinos to Tx, you'll need more logic or design a wired OR design. It all depends on the normal(idle) state of the Tx line. I would try to google this type of interface and implement it to each of the boards, if you want two way communication.

michaelmartin2758

Nov 25, 2010
thanks gorgon

the distance between the arduino's is only a couple of inches..and i'm only using the rx input on the board
is it advisable do you think to add a buffer. or just leave as is

thanks again

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
thanks gorgon

the distance between the arduino's is only a couple of inches..and i'm only using the rx input on the board
is it advisable do you think to add a buffer. or just leave as is

thanks again

You're pull-up resistor is 270Ω. It should have no problem driving the hi z inputs of multiple arduinos. If the runs were long then it would be a concern because we get into proper transmission line issues, signal reflection, etc. I don't think you'll experience any of this at the distances you mentioned.

Chris

michaelmartin2758

Nov 25, 2010
what can i say .......... other than ............thanks
you guys are a fountain of knowledge.... for people who are self learning....
i only hope one day soon i can answer some questions for other people ...this is surely what the internet was invented for....

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
You're welcome. Enjoy the learning!

Chris