Connect with us

Complete noob having a hard time understanding a couple things

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by createthefuture, May 28, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. createthefuture

createthefuture

May 28, 2016
    Hello I have recently caught the electronics bug and have been working on a couple of fun projects such as CNC's and LED lighting projects. I have mainly just been following other people's tutorials so there are a couple of things that I just don't quite understand.

For my CNC project I am using an Arduino Mega with a ramps 1.4 board. The ramps board has a few stepper drivers connected to it. But there is another project I am doing where I only need to use 1 stepper motor, so I just got another ramps board and I'm using that for this project. I am pretty confused as to whether or not I actually need a ramps board for just 1 stepper motor. What exactly does the ramps board do that I would be required to use it for just 1 stepper motor instead of just connecting the stepper driver to my Arduino?

I have tried to do some research on this but its hard to find the right answers when you don't really know the proper questions to ask. I think I read something along the lines of the ramps providing a "soft start" to the steppers but I'm not really sure if that's what the actual purpose of the ramps board is.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I look forward to learning a lot more and making a lifetime hobby out of this, and hopefully finding a way to get paid for it someday.

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Welcome to EP. Yes you can use the Arduino to drive stepper motors, however the use of a dedicated PCB with drivers is sometimes more desirable because it can be easier to implement. Here is a link to an Arduino version.
    https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/StepperSpeedControl

Thanks
    Adam

Ask a Question