Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Complete N00b needs some advice

wizkidding

Sep 23, 2011
I joined this forum because i was hoping to get help with a specific problem.

around the 4:15 mark of this video

the presenter suggests using a 120v to 24v DC adapter. Which is a much less cumbersome solution.

I'm wondering if their isn't 1 product or 2 products that I could combine in order to have a simple dual alligator clamp circuit. Or am I going to have to buy the 24v adapter and modify it:confused:

thanks in advance for any help

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
It's not hard to replace the connector on one of those power supplies but I prefer to leave the original molded connector and make an adapter pigtail. Are you perhaps a non-soldering person? If so, I'd suggest you get this stuff, cut the extension cable in half and put the alligator clips on the bare wire ends of the appropriate half.

Check the website for photos and detailed specifications.

Jameco-Shopping-Cart1.png

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
For just two wires of that type and size you could do it with a pair of scissors and a sharp knife or you could buy a cutter/stripper starting around $3. Find a friend with a multimeter to determine polarity for you so you get the red and black correct.

wizkidding

Sep 23, 2011
For just two wires of that type and size you could do it with a pair of scissors and a sharp knife or you could buy a cutter/stripper starting around $3. Find a friend with a multimeter to determine polarity for you so you get the red and black correct.

Does that matter if I'll be reversing the polarity half the time?

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Wire stripping

Hi there. I excpect people do it in different ways, if your going to do more electronics / electrical work in the future i would invest in a pair of side cutters. Probably the single most used tool in my box, i strip wire, cut, trim solder joints, wire stripping takes care with side cutters, experiance on presurre you use to strip the wire, not cut through it, the cutters tip of the jaws can remove larger isulation, thinner wire needs dexterity and care when stripping, ive never used wire strppers. Dave.

wizkidding

Sep 23, 2011
So I may be better off using a razor since it's very unlikely I'll be using wire strippers anytime in the near future

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So I may be better off using a razor since it's very unlikely I'll be using wire strippers anytime in the near future

For an awfully long time I've used a craft knife for most wire stripping. You have to be careful not to score the conductors, but you get the hang of that after a while.

I think that before I used that, I used a knife, although I stopped shortly after my dentist suggested that it would damage my teeth (it hadn't, but I guess it pays to be sure).

Only half kidding about the teeth...

Typically I place the wire on the blade and use my thumb to roll the wire along the blade. Where this is impractical, bending the wire over and nicking the insulation under tension is a good way to cut it without risk of scoring the conductor(s).

Craft knives are nowhere near as sharp as razors or scalpels so I don't have nightmares about slicing into my finger. Well, not that often.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
The trick is to cut most of the way through the insulation all the way around then break away the remaining material so there's no chance of scoring the conductor(s).

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
I joined this forum because i was hoping to get help with a specific problem.

around the 4:15 mark of this video

the presenter suggests using a 120v to 24v DC adapter. Which is a much less cumbersome solution.

I'm wondering if their isn't 1 product or 2 products that I could combine in order to have a simple dual alligator clamp circuit. Or am I going to have to buy the 24v adapter and modify it:confused:

thanks in advance for any help

All the power supplies and wire strippers may not address the problem. The solution offered in the video for this medical condition (Hyperhidrosis) is Iontophoresis which is about 50 years old and has been generally accepted by the medical community (e.g. it is covered by many insurance plans). But please be aware of the [possible] underlying conditions and be sure to address them. Otherwise you may be only reacting to the symptom/effect/result (sweating), and not addressing the cause (some more serious underlying condition) which still lurks and may surface in other ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhidrosis

WebMD gives a more benign outlook to Hyperhidrosis
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/hyperhidrosis2

wizkidding

Sep 23, 2011
All the power supplies and wire strippers may not address the problem. The solution offered in the video for this medical condition (Hyperhidrosis) is Iontophoresis which is about 50 years old and has been generally accepted by the medical community (e.g. it is covered by many insurance plans). But please be aware of the [possible] underlying conditions and be sure to address them. Otherwise you may be only reacting to the symptom/effect/result (sweating), and not addressing the cause (some more serious underlying condition) which still lurks and may surface in other ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhidrosis

WebMD gives a more benign outlook to Hyperhidrosis
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/hyperhidrosis2

I've had this for as long as I can remember. It isn't due to diabetes or something. I have no problem with only treating the symptoms as the surgery to cure the problem has so many side effects.

wizkidding

Sep 23, 2011
For an awfully long time I've used a craft knife for most wire stripping. You have to be careful not to score the conductors, but you get the hang of that after a while.

I think that before I used that, I used a knife, although I stopped shortly after my dentist suggested that it would damage my teeth (it hadn't, but I guess it pays to be sure).

Only half kidding about the teeth...

Typically I place the wire on the blade and use my thumb to roll the wire along the blade. Where this is impractical, bending the wire over and nicking the insulation under tension is a good way to cut it without risk of scoring the conductor(s).

Craft knives are nowhere near as sharp as razors or scalpels so I don't have nightmares about slicing into my finger. Well, not that often.

thanks, good to know
Thanks

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for the follow up. It's always nice to know when projects that we participate in have a good result.