Connect with us

Compelety stuck, on what is the type of power lead I need

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jay22981, May 16, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jay22981

Jay22981

May 16, 2014
    Hi All,

I currently I have all my work stored stored on my hard drive. I antecedently broke the power lead. I have searched the internet high and low and just cant find any suitable match..

I have attached a pic of where the lead connects to the device.
    photo (2).JPG
    Can anyone help?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    How did you break the power lead?

What appears to be wrong with it?

Is it possible it could be repaired?

Most importantly, does it note the functions of the pins and/or the voltages present?

3. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Upload a photo of the sticker on the adapter. You may need to know what voltages (e.g. 12V and 5V) it provides, and what current it can supply on each rail.

What do you mean by "broke" the cable? Show us a photo of the break.

4. Jay22981

Jay22981

May 16, 2014
    Well, by broke I mean that the misses accidentally checked the lead in the bin...!! Guessing this could be a huge problem?

Thanks,

Jason

5. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    She chucked "the lead" in the bin... what exactly did she throw away? Did it include a mains lead, a box, and another lead that plugged into the external hard drive box?

Is there a manufacturer name and/or a model name on the hard drive box?

Do you want to continue to use that hard drive or would it be enough just to get the data off it? If the latter, you should be able to open the box, remove the hard drive itself, and plug it into a desktop computer. It will most likely have a SATA connector, or if it's more than five years old, it might have a parallel IDE cable (grey flat cable).

Take a few more photos and tell us all the information you have.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Here's one way of getting the data off the drive:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-TO-S...62?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item3a8194a926

I'm not recommending that product specifically, any USB to IDE/SATA adapter would be fine.

Open the box up, take the drive out, connect it up (careful about shorting stuff out) and read the data off.

The power supply that comes with these is probably exactly what you need for your external drive, except for the connector. And it's really the connector that is the problem. depending on what's inside, there may be a solution that allows you to bypass it and use something else.

7. KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
    About eight years ago I had an external hard drive enclosure with a 4-pin Mini-DIN socket that looked a bit like the one in the photo. The power supply provided separate +12V and +5V rails. Every one I've seen since then has a 12V-only power supply with the usual cylindrical DC plug, and regulators for +5V and/or +3.3V inside the enclosure. That's why I suspect his one may need more than one power rail.

I agree that if you don't want to resurrect it permanently, just get the data off it, the easiest solution would be to take the hard drive out and read the data off it using a desktop PC or a different external hard drive adapter. You can probably borrow something from a friend, or temporarily use another one you already have. But if it's more than a few years old, open it up and find out whether it's SATA or parallel IDE, so you know what interface you'll need to be able to access the hard drive when you've removed it.

Ask a Question