Connect with us

Companion cube

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Anon_LG, Dec 6, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    For my next project, which will be going simultaneously with my robot, I am going to be making a companion cube style device from the portal story. I will be receiving a teensy 3.1 around Christmas (which is around the same time I will receive parts to further develop ACTUATOR), this will act as the brain of the cube. I have found an old ipod shuffle case, which is both an excellent size and will incorporate upcycling into this project. The teensy and 8 by 8 LED matrix fit perfectly into the case, with room to spare for discrete circuitry and other output/input devices according to my measurements. The photos below give you an idea of what kind of size I am working with.

IMG_1753.JPG IMG_1754.JPG

The teensy 3.1 has been chosen due to its small size, low voltage input and external supply and the amount of IO pins provided. I face only 1 possible problem; fitting the power supply into the case. Preferably I want to fit all circuitry into the case, I am unsure as to whether or not I can drill wire holes into the case without cracking the plastic. I tried to research the properties of the box however I can not find the composition of the box, I do not want to have the lid open or ajar for wires due to dust collection. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could power the device with the supply located within the box? According to Harald Kapp the supply voltage to the teensy 3.1 should be between 3.7 volts and 5.5 volts (Thankyou for making this clear to me Harald Kapp). AA's and 9 volt batteries are not an option for an internal supply, AA's simply will not fit and 9 volt batteries will not fit due to the 8 by 8 LED matrix, even then the voltage would need regulating down to 5 volts. I think the only options are AAA's or coin cells. Any help with the power supply and/or drilling dilemma is appreciated. Thanks

2. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    I think the box may be clear acrylic however I am unsure. I am currently considering moving it project to a differnt project case altogether, the only problem being I do not ave any enclosures currently available, are there any enclosures made of sturdy, clear plastic with similar dimensions to the ipod box, preferably with known drillability.

Ask a Question