Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Common Debouncing Circuit

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Greetings,

I was thinking about using a common circuit to debounce multiple switches. If I used SPDT switches, with one end as the trigger and the other connecting the output, it should at least solve half the problem, but would still be prone to bouncing on release. Is there a way to do this or am I chasing rainbows?

assuc

Dec 20, 2011
Raven Luni,

The first thing to cut bouncing of switches is to use a J-K flipflop circuit which will be able to help you in debouncing.
As for the circuit of debouncing and ic for j-k flip flop i'll provide you the next day as they are in my other PC

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Oh I'm familiar enough with debouncing - sorry if I wasn't too clear in the first post. What I was basically wanting to do was save components and use the same debouncer for all switches instead of having 1 for each, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like a daft idea.

I only really need a few anyway (I'm making a simple ROM programmer and it's really just for resets).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It depends on how it bounces, and on what sort of switch it is as to whether you can use a JK flip-flop.

A simple solution is an RC filter and a schmitt trigger. You get 6 in a package and they're as cheap as chips and trivially simple to use.

Google will find many examples like this, this, this, or most particularly this.

Edit: The last one mentins a single chip which debounces 6 switches (presumably with no additional components, and also the idea of using a cheap uC to do the job.

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
I often have to debounce switches, so I take the easy, reliable way out.

I use the MAX812 from Maxim IC.

It costs about a buck for each circuit, but is reliable as hell.

And I can afford it, because our end product sells for over 60K!

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
Must be a hell of a product. What is it?

Pulsed Plasma Generators for Thin Film Coating applications.

Low end units are 360kW pulses, and high end are 1MW.

Fun stuff...and quite a challenge to switch 600V @ 2000A with IGBT's!:D