Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Combining USB PowerBanks

prashsax

Nov 3, 2014
Hi Experts,

I have two 2600mah power banks.
Is it possible to increase output current, if I join output terminal of both circuit together in parallel.
As both these circuit board gives out 5v/1Amp, would I be able to get 5v/2Amp output.
Similarly, I will also connect USB input terminal together in parallel, so both cells will charge simultaneously.

Does, joining output harm my powerbank circuit or my device?

Please advice.

Thanks
Prashsax

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In theory the answer is yes, however practical issues might get in the way.

Depending on how each are regulated, if the voltage on one is slightly higher than the voltage on the other then current may pass between them (less likely), or one may try to supply the whole load (more likely). It would be wise for you to measure the output voltage of both of these devices (preferably under a range of load and charge conditions) to establish how closely matched they are. One might have a voltage of (say) 5.05V, and the other 5.12V. DO you have a multimeter?

The other issue concerns whether the device you're powering will understand that there is not 2A available. Often devices use some magic encoding on the data lines to inform the device of the available current. You would have to determine what (if any) encoding signifies 2A and employ that (typically it's just some resistors).

prashsax

Nov 3, 2014
Thanks for the reply Steve.
I'll start by measuring the output voltage(I do have digital multimeter.) Hopefully both should be same as they are of same make and model.
I'll report back, once I have taken the reading.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hopefully both should be same as they are of same make and model
Component tolerances could mean that the outputs are up to 5% or so different. However practically you rarely see anywhere near that much variance.