Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Combining red leds with very low powered 850nm - 880nm leds with eye safety in mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltaic

May 6, 2015
Considering the danger with ir leds by themselves is that you can be looking at a bright light and not know it (while it is damaging your eyes all the same), would it be safe to combine low powered (eg. 3mm 20mA 2v) ir (850nm - 880nm) leds next to slightly higher powered (eg. 5mm 60mA) red leds. Mounted on a large board area so there is no strong point source either and so it simulates the effect of ir as a component of a red light spectrum with leds without the danger of ir by itself by placing ir leds are close as possible to red leds.

If so what ratio or power of leds and spacing would need to be used to maintain safety?
Perhaps also with a mesh in front at a safe distance so you could not get too close.

Is there a way to do it well within margins for eye safety?
Or would it be too risky and better to stick with broad spectrum lighting (like incandescent)?

Although my idea would not have it placed in front or anywhere close to your face like this, but off to the side or overhead at a much greater distance where you would not be looking at or into it, except the occasional glance.

led_0020t.JPG

72dbc016dc6496873cede0039adb8694.jpg

224298_489863847707875_918020061_n.jpg

Heres the full article
https://www.facebook.com/notes/skinstation/red-light-therapy-led-vs-ipl/470634932960113

more examples
http://www.theledman.net/order.html

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
You seem to have a more that general interest in human safety. I am concerned that someone with less experience may give you the wrong advice. I have given you the standards for eye safety and that is all you need. Although your post are interesting, I am not sure if the administration will agree. All of your posts relate to human safety and you must be careful otherwise you may get banned. You haven't explained the reason for all these obscure post.
Adam

Voltaic

May 6, 2015
I just simply wanted some help working out distance and power for safety with low powered ir leds in various different spaced out configurations combined with visible light which I thought was quite a complex problem to work out, not simple to work out at all.

I posted one other thread on this topic (multi low leds safety) but I didn't get any answers.

I don't quite get what you mean about getting banned for asking electronics questions relating to safety.
But OK if you think it's not suitable for this forum for some reason that I don't understand I'll go elsewhere.

Someone can delete this thread if you want, but I'm still not sure why.

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
The reason why it might get deleted is you never explain the motive behind the questions. For all we know you could be planning on making something at home and using it. Unless you follow the eye safety standard which I mentioned to you before you can not guarantee it will be safe. You asked for help and I gave you the information you have to follow. Here is some information to look through.

http://smartvisionlights.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/IEC_62471_summary.pdf
http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/an17/an1737.pdf

Voltaic

May 6, 2015
I know it can be dangerous I was just hoping for a simple guide to using a few super low powered remote control leds spread out across more than a metre with other visible leds. Something that everyone would agree would be safe. I wanted some help working out the safety guidelines within big margins and and then going to something like 1/15th or less of that power.

But don't worry, forget it I'm forgetting about this whole idea and topic for good since I found a shop that still sells incandescent lights.

I'm moving on to researching other things that don't have any risks associated with them at all.

Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
The guide is in the links above. Be careful you don't burn yourself on the incandescent light bulbs. :)

Voltaic

May 6, 2015
Don't worry after I turn it off I'll come back on the forum to start a new thread about how long it takes light bulbs to cool down, before thinking about touching it. :)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Im going to close this thread
am seriously considering deleting ti gompletely

Voltaic, you have too many threads along these lines
you really need to get into a different line of electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.